Sunday 10 June 2012

Doing recovery like a newcomer




I heard in a meeting yesterday the reminder that I worked my program differently when I was a newcomer.  Then with the steps so new, and the memory of the pain of years of uncontrolled and painful eating so fresh in my mind, I approached working a program with gratitude and humility.  Every cell of my body understood what it meant to be a compulsive overeater, understood my powerlessness and saw me surrender completely.

I want to work my program like a newcomer, where I was clear that working a program was the most important thing in my life:
  • I was grateful for the opportunity to go to as many meetings as possible and regularly went 4 times a week and put meetings before my social life
  • I treasured my abstinence like it was the most precious gift.  I didn't put it at risk in any way including not tasting while cooking, not tasting samples or not eating at buffets or cocktail parties.  I weighed and measured. I shopped and cooked with my abstinence in mind. 
  • I counted my days of abstinence
  • I spoke program every morning in my call to my sponsor
  • I read every program book I could and when I could
  • I had an open mind when it came to all OA members
  • Exercise was part of my action plan, and I often exercised with other members
  • I was grateful for my recovery; my ego was reduced enough to know it wasn't me who was doing it but my higher power
  • I journalled without fail, and did formal step 3s and 10s each day
  • I meditated
Today I am going to think like a newcomer.

No comments:

Post a Comment