Wednesday 11 January 2012

This is what Step One looks like

 
  Step One is where I get to admit I am powerless over
  food and that my life is unamanageable.

  Today, I celebrate the freedom my powerlessness 
  gives me and the blessings of being an over-eater.

  In knowing and identifying my disease, I can surrender
  and hand it all over to my HP to take care of.


I know I am powerless over food because:
  • I have a physical reaction to food I am allergic to, espeically sugar, sugar and flour and sugar alternatives such as palm sugar.  These reactions include:
    • Being unable to stop after the first bite; portion; plateful
    • Migraines
    • Severe sinus
    • Eczema
    • Acne
    • Excessive and rapid mood swings
    • Depression
    • Physical cravings
    • Excess weight
  • I can not limit my food intake by dieting
  • I can not eat moderately or sanely outside of meals - snacking always leads to compulsive overeating.  I can only eat manageably within the structure of abstinence
  • My relationship to my food is beyond physical - it is a crutch spiritually and emotionally
  • I physically react to 'sugar-free' foods as if they were sugar products.  My body can not tell the difference between artificial sweetners and sugar, and therefore has the same physical reaction
  • I am often secretive about my eating, not wanting others to see me eat, see what I am eating or share what I am eating
  • I am often unable to eat slowly
  • I often have poor judgment around portion/ meal size. 
  • My first reaction to a plateful of food is often 'it's not enough' and I become fearful that I will be hungry.  I often finish eating my meal and my first thought is I am hungry, that wasn't enough
  • I have significant fear of being hungry
  • I will eat food even when I am not hungry.  I will eat food I don't like.  If I do not like a meal, I feel grief that I didn't get the meal I wanted
  • I am constantly watching what others are eating, aware of their portions and food types
  • I experience jealously at what other's can eat
  • I can be a 'feeder' offering sweets and cooking treats for others

No comments:

Post a Comment